Presenting My Claim
If we are fortunate enough to have been selected to be your attorneys, we will thoroughly investigate, research and evaluate the legal issues, as well as the medical damages in your case. This will usually involve:
- Contacting and interviewing witnesses familiar with the facts of the case and your injuries.
- Retaining investigators and expert witnesses to assist us in gathering and evaluating the evidence.
- Obtaining all of your medical records and bills resulting from your injury, and in some cases records which pre-date or post-date your injury.
- Calling you frequently in order to monitor your medical care, to discuss your condition and to answer any of your questions.
- Contacting your treating doctors for necessary medical reports of your condition.
- Contacting your employer to obtain documentation of any lost income, leave or benefits.
When your treatment has concluded or your doctors advise that you have made as much improvement as you can ever expect to make, we will begin a complete review of your case, gather all available documentation, and then submit a formal demand for settlement of your case to the opposing insurance company. The demand will be accompanied by a settlement brochure, which sets forth in detail all necessary legal and medical data which support your claim.
Usually within 4-8 weeks of our demand submission, the insurance company will respond and open settlement negotiations with us. We will advise you of all settlement offers made, and counsel with you about the reasonable value of your case, as well as what you might expect if your case is taken to trial. We will make recommendations to you about what we believe to be in your best interests, leaving the final decision to you. Our goal is to properly advise and educate you about the legal process so that you can make the best decision about settlement or trial.